the Joy of Figs!
September 15, 2019
2:00 – 5:00PM
Location: Wigle Barrelhouse and Whiskey Garden
1055 Spring Garden Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
Children age 11 and under free
- ~Fig-based delicacies demonstrated and prepared by Vallozzi Exec Chef Josiah Henry (see photos)~
- ~A complimentary Wigle cocktail of your choice~
- ~Heirloom Seed and Fig Tree Exchange (see details)~
- ~Traditional music and dancing~
- ~Best Tasting Fig Contest (see details)~
- ~Fig growing tips and advice~
- ~Demonstrations such as olive curing, and wine making~
- ~Old World foodways presentation by Heinz History Center’s Italian American Program~
- ~Mozzarella making demo by Viviana Altieri of Istituto Mondo Italiano~
- ~Silent Auction with heirloom trees from our Legacy Fig Garden~
- ~Children’s activities based on food and gardening traditions~
Rain or Shine! Rain won’t stop the party! We’ll just head into the Wigle Barrelhouse.
FigFest! supports the ongoing mission of The Italian Garden Project including Italian American vegetable garden documentation, educational programs and website, and heirloom preservation gardens.
Join us to learn more about this fascinating fruit revered by cultures around the world!
The allure of fig growing goes beyond the sweet reward of the sun-ripened fruit. For many, figs evoke a powerful connection to the past, and the challenges of growing them are far outweighed by the joy they bring.